Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas

On to the next lectionary season.

painting of nativity scene

For Christmas (eve and/or day) there are 3 sets of readings.

Nativity Of The Lord - Proper I


Nativity Of The Lord - Proper II


Nativity Of The Lord - Proper III


I was particularly struck by Luke 2:14 - "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom he is pleased!"(NRSV) I haven't seen the "with whom he is pleased in other translations" and I'm not sure if it is intended as "Peace amoung those people with whom God is pleased" or "God is pleased with mankind, peace among them."

I'd probably have more to say, but the migraine I've had for the last week is worse today and the meds aren't helping, so thought isn't exactly what my brain is doing best right now!

Most church services around here have been cancelled last night/today and the last 2 Sundays due to bad weather. My mom's husband commented that he's not sure how the churches can afford to do without the offering from the extra holiday visitors. The only denomination that reliably had services around here were the Catholic churches, although many of them cancelled midnight mass - that was both when any ice storm we were going to have was most likely to be at it's worst and when a local station was rebroadcasting the pope doing the service from St Peters.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: