Sunday, December 9, 2012

Second Sunday of Advent - Year C

Tree of Life stained glass window from the Washington CathedralThis week's Lectionary readings are:

I find these readings to be much less troubling than last week's. The idea of being forgiven and going forward in righteousness and peace is wonderful. The idea that love should lead us to learn to be (and act) more righteous, again, wonderful. I will say that I am generally of the "God helps them who help themselves school", but I do believe that when it comes to saving us from our enemies, we should let God help us and not take things into our own hands past the point of resistance. One of the biggest things that leads me away from faith is what other people do in the name of faith - wars, genocide, etc.
Image Source:
Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN.http://diglib.library.vanderbilt.edu/act-imagelink.pl?RC=55233 [retrieved December 9, 2012].

No comments: