Sunday, January 18, 2009

Second Sunday after Epiphany - Year B

colorful image of Jesus with 4 disciples in front of 2 ships and a fisherman and a lot of seagulls

This week's Lectionary readings are:


Several things from this weeks readings stuck out at me.

One was I Samuel 3:1b The word of the LORD was rare in those days; visions were not widespread. I think it's an interesting reminder that prophets and visionaries may not always be readily apparent, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist or that the Lord isn't speaking to us. And like Samuel, we may not be aware that that is what is happening.

Another interesting line is Psalm 139:6 Such knowledge [that God has] is too wonderful for me; it is so high that I cannot attain it. This is a key concept in my faith. I believe that many holy things are way beyond my understanding and I can only understand them imperfectly. That means that I (and the community of believers) can believe things that are later shown to be false because it was the best our limited human understanding could do at the time.


Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: