Sunday, January 25, 2009

Third Sunday After Epiphany - Year B

really fake looking fake money

This week's Lectionary readings are:


I've always liked this story from Jonah. Jonah prophesies, the people listen and repent, and God listens and staves off the threatened destruction. Later, people complain about the prophecy (and prophet) being false. I don't have any great conclusions, just new thoughts every time I read it. Today, it reminds me of staying up all night to make sure that there were no problems with the Y2K switchover (and installing last minute patches.) Like so many companies, because we worked hard (and because the people in Australasia worked out the bugs) everything went well when the moment came.

Psalm 62:10b, if riches increase, do not set your heart on them, reminds me of something my father told me about investments during the recessions of the 70's and 80's - it's only paper money. His theory was that until you cashed out your investment to use it for something else, any profit or loss was only on paper. A good reminder for these times, or any others.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: