Sunday, December 14, 2008

Third Sunday in Advent - Year B

mosaic - John the Baptist Announcing the Messiah

This's week's lectionary reading is:


I am still enjoying the words of Isaiah, and I've been reading (but not blogging) some additional readings from Isaiah (well, technically the prophet Isaiah as quoted in the Book of Mormon.) So I was happy to see another reading from Isaiah. I really like 61:11
For as the earth brings forth its bud, and as the garden causes the things that are sown in it to spring forth; so the Lord Yahweh will cause righteousness and praise to spring forth before all the nations.

It's such a genuinely positive image. I like the whole sense of hope of this reading from Isaiah, and the focus on pain becoming celebration and justice replacing injustice.

I particularly liked the last line of Psalm 126 - especially in the WEB - He who goes out weeping, carrying seed for sowing,
will certainly come again with joy, carrying his sheaves. I strongly believe that God helps those who help themselves, and this is a good example of that. To me it says, even when things are going badly, keep working and it will pay off.

The reading from I Thessalonians is one that I should read regularly. It has a lot of advice that I know I should take. I think 5:16 Test all things, and hold firmly that which is good. is particularly important. In religious discussions, so often I hear (and fall into) lots of black and white thinking as to what is good or bad, and particularly the assumption that we all do or should just take someone's word on these things. Testing (and determining the results) all things implies that we need to make an effort for ourself. Sure somethings we can learn from others, but we learn from observing others results, not just taking their conclusion at face value.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: