Sunday, January 4, 2009

Second Sunday After Christmas - Year B

Young girl jumping on top of a grassy hill

This week's Lectionary reading is:
I don't think I've mentioned that when the Lectionary puts verses in parenthesis, they are optional. Also, when the reading calls for verses from the Apocrypha, the Lectionary provides alternative verses from the Hebrew Bible or New Testament for those who don't include the Apocrypha in their canon.

Comparing current news and the reading from Jeremiah makes it hard to believe that the Messiah has come. However, I reject that argument. I certainly don't want to get into appologetics, but I'm sure that the situation depicted in Jeremiah 31:12:
They shall come and sing in the height of Zion, and shall flow to the goodness of Yahweh, to the grain, and to the new wine, and to the oil, and to the young of the flock and of the herd: and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all. [WEB]
has occurred multiple times over the last ~2000 years. (For that matter, it could be talking about after the Second Coming but I'm not even going to get into that here.)

Many Palestinians are unitarian Christians, so I feel an extra tie to them. However, any kind of violence and terrorism is wrong and I pray for a quick resolution, healing for those who are harmed and limited damages, injuries, and deaths.

I found the first half of the last verse (18) of the John reading interesting, it says No one has seen God at any time. Yet, the stories of the early prophets (Abraham, Isaac, ...) include a number of stories of talking with or seeing God.

No comments: