Monday, December 1, 2014

First Monday of Advent (2014 Year B)

Today's Readings  (Ooooh! I finally found an example and place where you can just take the books and verses you want and make a url!)

The heading for the Micah reading I have is listed as "Peace and Security through Obedience" which I find ironic, because I don't really see where the obedience comes in as much as a prediction that God will come in and make optimal decisions for the people of the book. I don't think "obedience" or respectability politics have worked for anyone anywhere long term. (Although short term they can be useful by putting people off guard.) This is the discussion we are having right now on a national level, particularly with regard to all the young black children (mostly) being shot for nothing or almost nothing. And about the behaviour of the protesters. The excuses that I've heard over and over when the scriptures tell us to love our neighbor and turn the other cheek and not to judge.

Also, this section of Micah has the overused "Swords into plowshares" line. Everyone seems to forget Joel 3:10
Beat your plowshares into swords,
    and your pruning hooks into spears;
    let the weakling say, “I am a warrior.”
 Sure we'd all love to see an end to war, but we have to remember that there is a time to fight too.

No comments: