Sunday, December 21, 2014

Fourth Sunday of Advent


Mary and Elizabeth
There was a lot for me in these readings. I suspect that I should either stick to the regular (not daily) lectionary and follow a different reading plan if I wish to do daily readings. That doesn't change my plan to read and blog for all of Advent (which is quickly coming to an end!) 

In 2 Samuel 7:1-11 I was struck by how the king wanted to make God a house as nice as his, but God wanted to keep his tent - ie like the average person. (Of course, the Tabernacle was super, super fancy.)

I also found a lot of hope in the Luke readings.  (Luke 1:51-53) As always I am affirmed by justice for the poor.
He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty.
The Romans reading (Romans 16:25-27) is what I have been craving, inclusion of people outside of the 12 tribes.

Now to God who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages but is now disclosed, and through the prophetic writings is made known to all the Gentiles, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith -- to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever! Amen.
 Now, I must say, I knew this passage (and several that are similar) but reading passage after passage after passage where they talk about how God is here for the 12 tribes (or even just blessing one of them in particular) is depressing for someone who is not a member of one of those tribe.

Edited 20141223 to fix formatting, include quote of Romans 16:25-27 and post-quote commentary. Added image.

Image attribution: http://diglib.library.vanderbilt.edu/act-imagelink.pl?RC=51545

No comments: