Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Nativity of the Lord - Proper II Year B (December 24, 2014)

This is the second of three readings for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

 

I included this image because it is likely typical of where Jesus was born, in the lower half of an overfilled family dwelling in the section where the animals were also brought in for the night (safety for them, warmth sharing for the family.)

As a child, my dad would often read us the story of Jesus's birth from the bible on Christmas Eve. Often I read it myself because I treasure that memory. But this year, I'm not really in the mood for that. Possibly that is why of these readings, I liked Titus 3:4-7 the most.
But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy, through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit. This Spirit he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Although I think we should walk our talk, I also believe that we follow a merciful god and that it is nice to remember that the birth we are commemorating/waiting for is also what brought us mercy and renewal. I know so many people right now personally who need mercy and renewal - not to mention our whole nation.

Image: Altdorfer, Albrecht, ca. 1480-1538. Holy Night (Birth of Christ), from Art in the Christian Tradition, a project of the Vanderbilt Divinity Library, Nashville, TN. http://diglib.library.vanderbilt.edu/act-imagelink.pl?RC=46265 [retrieved December 24, 2014]. Original source: http://www.yorckproject.de.

No comments: