Thursday, December 4, 2014

Second Thursday of Advent (2014 Year B)

Today's Readings are the start of preparation for Sunday's readings - the Second Sunday of Advent.

To be honest, like pretty much everyone else, I read the bible looking for validation or at most a small building block past where I am. On the other hand, small change is how we often get to new places.

I know I've read these reading before (both as reading the bible in book order and at least the Sunday lectionary readings), but more and more the eye for an eye violence and unforgiveness of the Old Testament bother me. I think there IS a time and place for violence, but I want to find something better than revenge. I don't want one group to win at the expense of others.

These readings are better than last week's on that scale, but still I want more reminder of the need to love one another. We can still seek revolution, fight for right, argue, riot, etc but vengeance doesn't help.

Hosea 6:6
For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice,
    the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.

No comments: