Tuesday, December 2, 2014

First Thursday, Friday, Saturday of Advent (2014 Year B)

I missed the daily preparatory readings for this Sunday, so I am reading them now.

Thursday's Readings
Friday's Readings
Saturday's Readings

So, honestly, as someone raised UU, I can't see most of these readings as anything but anger and looking for revenge. In fact, they make Saturday's readings about false prophets ring particularly loudly. If the end of our faith is hatred or death for those who are not of it or do us wrong, we will have a never ending cycle of violence. This is not in line with the received teachings of Jesus.

I guess in summary, we should be very cautious when someone tells us they are speaking for God. Also, anger is okay, though I don't think we should always act on it. Maybe praying for God to dispense the revenge we want is one way of stepping back so we act in a more useful way.

No comments: